- Exterior lighting is one of the best places to use candescent florescent lamps because of their long life. If you live in a cold climate, be sure to buy a lamp with a cold-weather ballast.
- Turn off lights that are not needed, like in unused rooms.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with new, energy-efficient compact fluorescent lights.
- Replace all bulbs with lowest acceptable wattages.
- Use timers or motion detectors on lamps that are used for security lighting.
- Use natural daylight as much as possible.
- When possible, use one large bulb rather than several smaller ones.
- Clean your light bulbs regularly, since dirt diffuses light, decreasing illumination.